Shayna A. Beeksma
Shayna Beeksma, Founder and Principal Lawyer at Beeksma Law
Shayna A. Beeksma is an award-winning lawyer and the founder of Beeksma Law. She received her J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2011 and was called to the Ontario Bar in 2012. Shayna summered and articled at the Toronto office of Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP (now known as “Gowling WLG”). She then practised with a boutique commercial and estate litigation firm in Burlington, and then subsequently continued her practice at a prominent mid-sized Hamilton firm before opening Beeksma Law in 2018.
Regularly appearing before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and having argued cases before the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, and the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, Shayna is a strategic, creative and effective advocate.
A passionate innovator and entrepreneur, Shayna’s main practice area is in estates law (comprised of estate litigation, estate administration and estate planning), while also incorporating business law (including not-for-profit law), real estate law, commercial leasing, and general civil litigation into her practice. While her clients value her knowledge, experience and legal skills, it’s her firm’s customer-centric approach that sets Beeksma Law apart.
Shayna truly cares about her clients. She is committed to using her expertise to achieve the best possible results for them, while offering flat-fee billing in most cases to provide certainty and predictability for clients with respect to their legal bills.
Her clients and fellow citizens know this to be true. She was voted the 2019, 2020, and 2021 Platinum Award winner for the best lawyer and real estate lawyer in Hamilton, and Beeksma Law was voted the 2019, 2020 and 2021 Platinum Award winner for the best law firm and best real estate law firm in Hamilton, by the readers of the Hamilton Spectator. In 2022, Shayna and Beeksma Law were voted the Platinum Award winners for the best real estate lawyer and law firm by the readers of the Hamilton Spectator. Additionally, Shayna was voted the 2021 Platinum Award winner for the best lawyer in Hamilton by the readers of the Hamilton Community News.
Shayna has always been a community-minded advocate, which is what led her to the field of law. Her dedication to helping others and to improving the legal profession is clear through in her involvement with the:
- Hamilton Law Association (past continuing professional development committee, and history committee, member)
- Grey County Law Association
- Saugeen Shores Chamber of Commerce (Current Member of the Board of Directors)
- Empowerment Squared (Current Member of the Board of Directors)
- The Entrepreneur Nation (Regional Director – Hamilton Chapter)
- Canadian Association of Black Lawyers
- Black Female Lawyers Network
- Ontario Bar Association (conference speaker)
- The Advocates Society
- Christian Legal Fellowship (past Member of the Executive and of the Board of Directors)
- Rotary Club of Hamilton AM (past Member of the Board of Directors)
- Telling Tales (past Member of the Board of Directors)
- Reverend John C. Holland Awards (Beeksma Law was the annual sponsor of the Lincoln Alexander Award for 4 years)
- Mamas & Co. (past mentor to numerous small business owners and conference speaker)
In her spare time, Shayna and her family enjoy long drives in the country, traveling, exploring their community, and supporting small, local businesses (especially craft breweries and local restaurants). A foodie at heart, you can often find Shayna enjoying a coffee and treat at one of the fabulous independent coffee shops or restaurants in Hamilton or in Owen Sound.